Pershing Street Mennonite Church (Hutchinson, Kansas, USA)
Pershing Street Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located at "C" and Pershing, Hutchinson, Kansas, a member of the South Central Mennonite Conference, was an outgrowth of missionary efforts started in 1931 by the Yoder Mennonite and West Liberty Mennonite congregations. It was organized as a church on 7 August 1937, with 41 charter members, under the name Hutchinson Mission Mennonite Church. In 1933 a basement was built in which services were held. In 1942 the present frame structure was built. Lay leaders who were prominent in congregational growth are Alf B. Miller, Paul Roupp, and Daniel J. and Susie Headings. The minister who helped in its beginning was Joe F. Brunk. Harry A. Diener and J. G. Hartzler served as bishops. Sanford E. King had been pastor since 1943. The membership in 1958 was 85. Only a few of these were converts of the mission; the majority were of Mennonite background who had made their homes in and around the city.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 147. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: King, Sanford E. "Pershing Street Mennonite Church (Hutchinson, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P4771.html.
APA style: King, Sanford E. (1959). Pershing Street Mennonite Church (Hutchinson, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P4771.html.