Port Elgin Mennonite Church (Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada)
The Port Elgin Mennonite congregation began services in 1854, and formally organized in 1858. The first building was occupied in 1861. Solomon Eby is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from Waterloo County in search of cheaper land. About 1870 minister Solomon Eby with most of the members left the Mennonite Conference of Ontario and joined what later became known at the Mennonite Brethren in Christ.
The congregation dissolved in 1902. It had been affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario since 1854. The language of worship was German.
Services for remaining members continued in homes with ministers supplied from Waterloo County. Preaching appointments at Brant and Culross were part of this group. Services were discontinued when families returned to Waterloo County or joined the Mennonite Brethren in Christ or German Lutherans.
The congregation met 2 km from Lake Huron on the Benjamin Shantz farm.
Mennonite Encyclopedia, "Bruce County"
Mennogespraech (March 1983): 2-3.
Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 122-123, 190.
Horst, Isaac R. "1 Mennonite Settlement in Port Elgin." Ontario Mennonite History (April 1997): 25-27.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Port Elgin Mennonite Church (Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P672.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Port Elgin Mennonite Church (Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P672.html.