Rivers Mennonite Church (Rivers, Manitoba, Canada)
The Rivers Mennonite congregation began services in 1926, and formally organized in 1929. The first building was occupied in 1950. J. P. Klassen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union.
In 1965 there were 58 members; in 1984, 7. The congregation dissolved in 1984. It had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba (1929) and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1929). The language of worship was German.
Congregational chairperson John Krahn served in 1984 as a congregational leader.
Mennonite Encyclopedia, "Whitewater."
Canadian Mennonite (25 November 1955): 6.
Mennonite Reporter (26 November 1984): 11.
Neufeld, G. G. Die Geschichte der Whitewater Mennoniten Gemeinde in Manitoba, Canada 1925-1965. Altona, MB: D. W. Friesen, 1967, 242 pp.
History of the Whitewater Mennonite Church 1927-1987. 1987, 99 pp.
Church records at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Rivers Mennonite Church (Rivers, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/R5917.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Rivers Mennonite Church (Rivers, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/R5917.html.