Salem Deaconess Home and Hospital (Salem, Oregon, USA)
Salem Deaconess Home and Hospital, located at Salem, OR, was founded in 1917 under the auspices of the local General Conference Mennonite, Mennonite Brethren, and Evangelical Mennonite Brethren churches, with Franz B. Wedel as superintendent. The main unit of the hospital had 60 beds. Franz B. Wedel was also the editor of the Salems Stern. After he died in 1930 his son Frank F. Wedel became the superintendent. Under him the south unit was added to the main building. In 1948 the hospital administration was reorganized by creating a board of twelve members consisting primarily of local business people, and the name was changed to Salem Memorial Hospital. By this time the hospital had lost its Mennonite denominational character. At present Irwin F. Wedel, the son of Frank F. Wedel, is superintendent. A west unit was added to the building in the late 1950s, when the hospital had 155 beds and two clinics. (Salems Stern, 1919-30.)
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 403. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "Salem Deaconess Home and Hospital (Salem, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S2408.html.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Salem Deaconess Home and Hospital (Salem, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S2408.html.