Salem Mennonite Church (New Paris, Elkhart County, Indiana, USA)
Salem Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located one-half mile south and 5 miles west of New Paris, Elkhart County, IN, a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference, was organized by R. J. Smid (1814-93) in 1889. About one half of the charter members were Mennonite immigrants from Balk, Friesland, Netherlands, who had arrived in 1853 and had held Dutch services in homes and schoolhouses, and also attended German services in the Christophel Mennonite church, an alternate meeting place for the Yellow Creek Mennonite Church. The meetinghouse was built in 1889 and enlarged in 1919. Ministers of the congregation have been R. J. Smid (Schmidt), J. H. Bare (ordained 1906), Ray F. Yoder, the present bishop (ordained 1918), and Francis E. Freed (ordained 1939) and Harold D. Myers, the present ministers (1958). The membership in the late 1950s was 166.
Yoder, Marie. "The Balk Dutch Settlement near Goshen, Indiana, 1853-1889." Mennonite Quarterly Review 30 (1936): 32-43.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 405. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Yoder, Ray F. "Salem Mennonite Church (New Paris, Elkhart County, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S2447.html.
APA style: Yoder, Ray F. (1959). Salem Mennonite Church (New Paris, Elkhart County, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S2447.html.