Salem Mennonite Church (Wooster, Ohio, USA)
Salem Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located 2 miles southeast of Smithville, half way between Orrville and Wooster in Wayne County, Ohio, a member of the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference, was founded in 1891 as a daughter congregation of the Martins church, the meetinghouse being built in that year. Actually the origin of the congregation was largely due to David Hostetler and Solomon Plank, preacher and deacon respectively in the Oak Grove Amish Mennonite Church, who, being dissatisfied with some of the conservative practices of the congregation, transferred to the Martins congregation in 1890, and became the first ministers of the Salem congregation. A few Oak Grove members followed them to Salem, but the total initial group was not large. In 1905 the membership was 55. In 1957 the membership was 45, with Daniel Hilty and Paul Showalter as ministers.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 406. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Salem Mennonite Church (Wooster, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S24488.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Salem Mennonite Church (Wooster, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S24488.html.