Salem-Zion Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)
Salem-Zion Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), located 5 miles east of Freeman, South Dakota, a member of the Northern District Conference, was formed out of two congregations that had their origin in Russia, coming from two separate Russian villages in Volhynia in 1874, the Salem group from Horodyszcze and the Zion group from Waldheim. After worshiping for a number of years in homes, they built separate meetinghouses and continued to worship separately until 1902, when the Zion church was destroyed by a cyclone. Then the two congregations merged, forming the Salem-Zion church. The first ministers immigrated with their congregations in 1874. With the Salem group came Peter Kaufman as elder and Christian Graber as minister. In 1878 the Salem church elected Christian Kaufman as elder and Christian Mueller as minister. In 1907 a group organized the present Salem Mennonite Church with Christian Mueller as minister. When the Zion church was destroyed, Joseph Kaufman of that church served in the Salem-Zion church. In 1957 the congregation had a membership of 426, with Olin A. Krehbiel as pastor, who succeeded Russell L. Mast. A new meetinghouse was dedicated in 1958.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 407. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Mast, Russell L. "Salem-Zion Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S2465.html.
APA style: Mast, Russell L. (1959). Salem-Zion Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S2465.html.