Sarreguemines Mennonite Church (Sarreguemines, France)
Sarreguemines (German, Saargemünd) Mennonite Church, located in northeastern France, was organized in 1927 by Reiseprediger Henri Volkmar under the direction of the Alsatian Mennonite Conference after attempts by Reiseprediger Christian Guth, of Germany, beginning in 1920, had failed. The twenty or more families forming the group were a remnant of the former Bitscherland congregation (dissolved ca. 1902) who had thereafter transferred to the Ixheim congregation just across the German border. (Up to 1918 Alsace-Lorraine was a part of Germany and there was no national border.) Since 1918 Sarreguemines has been politically French, although the Mennonites have continued the German language like those living in Alsace. Sarreguemines, a city of c. l2,000 population, lies on the French-German border. In 1957 the congregation had 35 members and was served by Elder Willi Hege.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. 4.
Sommer, Pierre. "Assemblée de Sarreguemines." Christ Seul (September 1931): 4 ff.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 423. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Sarreguemines Mennonite Church (Sarreguemines, France)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S267.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Sarreguemines Mennonite Church (Sarreguemines, France). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S267.html.