Tampa Mennonite Mission (Tampa, Florida, USA)
Tampa Mennonite Mission (Mennonite Church), 1407 Ida Street, Tampa, Florida, operated by the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, is the outgrowth of the missionary efforts of C. B. Byer and wife, who came to the city in 1927. For a time services were held in a tent on 15th Street; and in 1929 the present church was built. Work among the Spanish - speaking people (mostly Cubans) was carried on in rented buildings until 1946, when property was bought at 1613 9th Avenue, to serve as a meeting place and as kindergarten and first and second grades of school. The Ida Street mission and work among Latins (the Ybor City Mission) were considered one congregation until 1949. The membership in 1949 was 34. In 1952 the College Hill Mission at 3506 Machado Avenue was begun among the colored people. The membership in the three missions in 1958 was: Ida Street 20, with Martin Lehman as pastor; Ybor City 20, with Isaac Frederick; and College Hill 7, with Alvin Weaver. Ybor City conducts a Christian day school, called Sharon, with John Wenger as principal.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 682-683. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Brenneman, T. H. "Tampa Mennonite Mission (Tampa, Florida, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T369.html.
APA style: Brenneman, T. H. (1959). Tampa Mennonite Mission (Tampa, Florida, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T369.html.