Terek Mennonite Church (Khartch, Republic of Dagestan, Russia)
Terek Mennonite Church was established in 1902 in the Terek Mennonite Settlement. Among the first ministers were Wilhelm Sudermann, Dietrich Derksen, Cornelius Fast, Bernhard Fast, and Dietrich Klassen. Later Franz F. Enns, who soon became elder, Heinrich Balzer, David Balzer, Gerhard Wiens, Heinrich Regehr, Jacob Bärg, Benjamin Ewert, Cornelius Klassen, and Johann Dück were elected. In 1905 the congregation had a total membership of 1,078, of whom 424 were baptized. A meetinghouse was established in the village of Khartch and a more substantial one in 1908 in the village of Müdelburg. Franz F. Enns served the congregation as minister in 1903-6 and as elder 1906-18. He was a very talented leader. With the dissolution of the settlement in 1923, the congregation was dissolved.
Epp, D. H. Adressbüchlein. Taurien, 1913.
Dirks, Heinrich. Statistik der Mennonitengemeinden. Leipzig, 1906.
Toews, C. P. Die Tereker Ansiedlung. Steinbach, 1945: 22.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 696. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "Terek Mennonite Church (Khartch, Republic of Dagestan, Russia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T4927.html.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Terek Mennonite Church (Khartch, Republic of Dagestan, Russia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T4927.html.