Tjummarum (Friesland, Netherlands)
Tjummarum, a village in the northwest part of the Dutch province of Friesland, where Elder Leenaert Bouwens baptized five persons in 1563-65. At least in 1610 and probably long before, there was a Mennonite congregation here, concerning which information is very scarce. It had a meetinghouse in town and in 1695 it joined the Conference of Friesland, then numbering about 40 members. Throughout the 18th century the pulpit was vacant, services mostly being conducted by the preachers of Harlingen. In 1762 the few remaining members joined the Franeker congregation.
Busé, H. J. "De verdwenen Doopsgezinde gemeenten in Friesland." De Vrije Fries XXII: 16-18.
Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Friesland. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff, 1839: 89, 189, 193.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 732. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Tjummarum (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T637.html.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Tjummarum (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T637.html.