Towamencin Mennonite Church (Towamencin Township, Pennsylvania)
Towamencin Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, a member of the Franconia Mennonite Conference. Jacob Godshalk, who served as the first bishop for the Mennonites of America from 1708, settled in the present Towamencin Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, in 1713 or earlier. By 1728 the first Towamencin Mennonite meetinghouse had been built. About 1804 this building burned to the ground. In 1805 a stone building was erected, replaced about sixty years later. The present meetinghouse, the fourth, was built in 1925, 50 x 74 feet. The Towamencin pulpit seems to have been supplied by the Skippack preachers until 1876, when Christian Allebach (1841-1917) was ordained to the ministry. In 1958 the minister was Ellis L. Mack, with a membership of 219.
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937: 148-53.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 739. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, John C. "Towamencin Mennonite Church (Towamencin Township, Pennsylvania)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T689.html.
APA style: Wenger, John C. (1959). Towamencin Mennonite Church (Towamencin Township, Pennsylvania). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T689.html.