Turkey Run Mennonite Church (Bremen, Ohio, USA)
Turkey Run Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located south of Bremen, Ohio, a member of the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference, had its beginning in 1858, when a meetinghouse, 24 x 26 ft., was built to accommodate the members in the southern part of the Fairfield-Perry counties congregation. The building, erected after many had already moved to Allen County, never attracted a large membership. During the Civil War, controversy over the draft caused a further serious decline and toward the close of the century it approached extinction. By 1906 only 8 members remained. The membership in 1957 was 37, with Marion Good as pastor.
In 2012 the leading minister was Mike Bender, the congregational membership was 50, and the church was a member of the Conservative Mennonite Conference.
Hershberger, Brenda. Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2012-13. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2012: 56.
Umble, John. "Extinct Ohio Mennonite Churches." Mennonite Quarterly Review VI (1932): 23-29 et passim.
Wesselhoeft, C. and L. The History of Turkey Run Mennonite Church. 2003.
Address: 11590 Webb Summit Road, Bremen, OH 43107
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 756. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Umble, John S. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Turkey Run Mennonite Church (Bremen, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T871.html.
APA style: Umble, John S. and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Turkey Run Mennonite Church (Bremen, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T871.html.