Turner's Creek Mennonite Church (Talbert, Kentucky, USA)
|Turner's Creek Mennonite Church, 1948
X-31.1, Box 17/16
Turner's Creek Mennonite Church (formerly Turner's Creek Mennonite Mission) (Conservative Mennonite Conference), located in Breathitt County, near Talbert, Kentucky, about 20 miles south and west of Jackson, was established in November 1946 under the Conservative (Amish) Mennonite Conference. Alvin Swartz, who opened the work, was ordained as pastor in 1947 and as bishop in 1948; he was still serving in 1958, assisted by Oakley Turner, ordained in 1954. Other workers in 1959 were E. R. (Mrs. Alvin) Swartz, Clara Swartz (on leave), and Mary Elizabeth Miller. The membership in 1959 was 31. A meetinghouse was completed and dedicated in November 1948.
In 2012 the minister was Philip Swartzentruber and membership was 48.
Hershberger, Brenda. Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2012-13. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2012: 56.
Address: 3424 Hwy 1933, Talbert, KY 41339-8560
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 756. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Swartz, E. R. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Turner's Creek Mennonite Church (Talbert, Kentucky, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T873.html.
APA style: Swartz, E. R. and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Turner's Creek Mennonite Church (Talbert, Kentucky, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T873.html.