Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch, Ein
Ein Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch (Ein was dropped after the second edition), first published at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 1804 as the hymnbook of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church [MC]), the second Mennonite hymnbook to be compiled in America, was long used in this conference (15 editions 1804-87), also in the Ontario, Virginia, and Southwestern Pennsylvania Mennonite (MC) conferences and in the Old Order Mennonite bodies at various places. It is still used in Lancaster County by certain conservative groups (reprints at Lancaster 1923 and 1941 for the Amish congregations). It is noteworthy as the only Mennonite hymnal to borrow substantially from the Ausbund; it contains 64 Ausbund hymns, which is 45 per cent of the Ausbund total, and 17 per cent of the 390 basic hymns in the Gesangbuch. The first edition contained 511 pages. (See Hymnology for a detailed discussion of the book and the several other hymnals derived from it.)
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 783. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch, Ein." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/U575.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch, Ein. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/U575.html.