Urschitz Hutterite Colony (Slavkov u Brna, Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)
Urschitz (Uhrschitz) Hutterite Bruderhof, located near Slavkov u Brna (German, Austerlitz), Moravia, founded about the middle of the 16th century by Hutterites brought in by Ulrich von Kaunitz. The commune was forcibly evacuated, rebuilt in 1569, plundered in 1618. In October 1622 the Brethren had to abandon Urschitz with empty hands; they settled in Hungary. This Bruderhof was commonly called Taufarsky.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. IV.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit. Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 789. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: "Urschitz Hutterite Colony (Slavkov u Brna, Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/U752.html.
APA style: (1959). Urschitz Hutterite Colony (Slavkov u Brna, Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/U752.html.