Waldheim (Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine)
Waldheim (Russian, Waltajem, later Solianka) and Dosidorf (Zabara). About 1837 twelve Swiss-Volhynian Mennonite families from Horodyszcze, Volhynia, settled the two villages, Waldheim and Dosidorf, which were located approximately 20 miles southwest of Novograd-Volynsk (Novohrad-Volynskyi). In 1843 this congregation was called the "Gemeinde in der Colonie Dosidorf," but later Waldheim became the leading village. The land was owned by the settlers, this being the first instance of ownership among the Swiss-Volhynian Mennonites. The church was served by elders Joseph and Johan Schrag and minister Christian Graber. A few families left the two villages in 1861 and joined the new settlement at Neumannovka-Kutusovka in eastern Volhynia. The entire Waldheim-Dosidorf group immigrated to Hutchinson and Turner counties in South Dakota in 1874.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 876. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schrag, Martin H. "Waldheim (Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W341.html.
APA style: Schrag, Martin H. (1959). Waldheim (Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W341.html.