Wanaparty Mennonite Brethren Mission Station (Wanaparty, Andhra Pradesh, India)
Wanaparty Mennonite Brethren Mission station, India, located in the Wanaparty Samistan, 95 miles (153 km.) southwest of Hyderabad, was begun by F. A. Janzen and his wife in 1915, who erected most of the buildings. These include a mission bungalow, a church, a school, a hospital, hostels for school children, and living quarters for indigenous workers. Besides the Janzens the following missionaries have worked here: Mr. and Mrs. P. V. Balzer, Mr. and Mrs. J. N. C. Hiebert, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Dick, Margaret Suderman, and Anna Suderman. In 1954 the station was supervised by J. J. Kasper of Nagar Kurnool. The activities on the station include the regular church worship services, a school, which has developed from a primary into a middle school; and a hospital, which is patronized by many from the surrounding villages. The Wanaparty Station Field with an area of 1,200 square miles and a population of 180,000 in the late 1950s had been a responsive field for evangelism; the indigenous Mennonite Brethren Church of the Telugus at that time numbered over 1,000 members.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 884. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Lohrenz, J. H. "Wanaparty Mennonite Brethren Mission Station (Wanaparty, Andhra Pradesh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W3592.html.
APA style: Lohrenz, J. H. (1959). Wanaparty Mennonite Brethren Mission Station (Wanaparty, Andhra Pradesh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W3592.html.