Washington County (Maryland, USA)
Washington County, Maryland, is the third county from the western end of the state. The Mennonite community is located in the vicinity of Hagerstown, the county seat, where Mennonites had settled as early as 1776. By the late 1950s they numbered about 850, all members of the Mennonite Church (MC). This includes those who are members of the Washington County (Maryland) and Franklin County (Pennsylvania) Mennonite Conference, together with a small group who have united with the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference. Most are descendants of settlers from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; there are also some converts resulting from missionary efforts. There are six churches in the district, three mission projects in the county, and one at Flintstone in Allegany County, Maryland; the Mennonite Old People's Home is located at Maugansville.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 892. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Horst, Moses K. "Washington County (Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W3774.html.
APA style: Horst, Moses K. (1959). Washington County (Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W3774.html.