Wayland (Iowa, USA)
Wayland, Iowa, a town in northwestern Henry County, near the Washington County line, is located in the southeastern part of the state. It was at first known as Marshall. Mennonites have lived in its vicinity since the late 1840s. Its estimated population in 1958 was 660, when approximately 115 Mennonite families lived in the town. Mennonites operated 22 businesses within Wayland, and among the professional men were a Mennonite doctor, a veterinarian, and a dentist. The Wayland Mennonite (General Conference Mennonite [GCM]) Church, with 345 members, is located in the town, while the Sugar Creek Mennonite (Mennonite Church [MC]) Church is situated 2 miles southeast of town. The Eicher Emmanuel (GCM) Mennonite Church, 4 miles northeast of Wayland, is in Washington County, as is also the Bethel Mennonite (MC) Church, 3 miles north of the town.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 900. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Wayland (Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W398.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Wayland (Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W398.html.