|West Bank, Jordan River, 2006.
World Factbook map.
Following the creation of the State of Israel by the United Nations in 1948, Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) began work in 1950 among the Palestinians on the West Bank annexed by the government of Jordan. Initial involvements were with refugees and people in border villages, involving mainly food, clothing, education, and rural development. MCC began two boarding schools for boys in Hebron and Beit Jala, plus a needlework program among rural women in the Hebron area.
Following the June 1967 Israeli occupation of the West Bank, Israel revalidated MCC’s agreement with the government of Jordan governing MCC’s West Bank activities. During the 1970s MCC shifted to rural development because of the absence of any governmental support and services for the Palestinians as a people. Access and rights to land and water became important issues. In 1980 the MCC director (Paul Quiring) was refused permission to return as MCC representative when he publicly articulated the Palestinians’ increasing inaccessibility to West Bank land and water resources. In the 1980s and following peace and justice concerns have been increasingly emphasized through additional staff, a peace resource center, and through teaching and interpretation. In 1987 there were six MCC volunteers and seven Palestinian staff members.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 927. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Myers, Paul. "West Bank." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W4705.html.
APA style: Myers, Paul. (1989). West Bank. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W4705.html.