Wingham Mennonite Church (Elm Creek, Manitoba, Canada)
The Wingham Mennonite congregation in Elm Creek, MB began services about 1930, and formally organized in 1938. The first building was occupied in 1939, with a subsequent building program in 1961. Cornelius Rempel is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union.
In 1985 there were 40 members; in 2000, 47. The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Manitoba. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in 1967-77. Prior to 1982 Wingham was part of the Blumenorter church group.
The congregation's address R.R.1, Box 255, Elm Creek, MB, R0G 0N0. (204) 436-2521. Located 5 miles west of Elm Creek on Hwy 2 and 5 miles north. Pastor Martin Sawatzky served in 2000 as a congregational leader.
Mennonite Reporter (7 February 1983): 13.
Reflections: the First 50 years, Wingham Mennonite Church, 1933-1983. Elm Creek: Wingham Mennonite Church, 1983, 92 pp.
Zacharias, Peter D. Footprints of a Pilgrim People: Story of Blumenort Mennonite Church. Gretna, MB: Blumenort Mennonite Church, 1985, 291 pp.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Wingham Mennonite Church (Elm Creek, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W5642.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Wingham Mennonite Church (Elm Creek, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W5642.html.