Women's Auxiliary (Evangelical Mennonite Church)
Although many congregations within the Evangelical Mennonite Church had active women's groups, the first denominational report of women's work was a 1934 orphanage report. In 1935 the "Ladies of the conference" donated $62.90 to the conference budget. Officers were first listed in 1941. The following year the Ladies Missionary Society reported to the delegate body.
Throughout the years, Women's Auxiliary has supported with both money and handwork the Salem Children's Home, Flanagan, Illinois; Africa Inter-Mennonite Mission; Miracle Camp, Lawton, Michigan; and the Evangelical Mennonite Church's general budget. Women's Auxiliary conducts annual retreats and encourages community outreach by local groups.
To meet the challenges of the 21st century, the Evangelical Mennonite Church restructured its women's work in the 1980s, designating it "Women’s Ministry," and appointing a Director of Women’s Ministry.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 935. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gates, Rebecca L. "Women's Auxiliary (Evangelical Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W653.html.
APA style: Gates, Rebecca L. (1989). Women's Auxiliary (Evangelical Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W653.html.