Yoder Amish Mennonite Church (Berne, Indiana, USA)
Yoder Amish Mennonite Church, Berne, IN. In 1870 a small schismatic group of Amish Mennonites built a meetinghouse near Berne in Adams County, IN. The first minister is said to have been a John Richner. In 1886 the congregation bought the Baumgartner meetinghouse. A later minister was Daniel Yoder (1853-1924) of Linn Grove, IN. In 1892 he attended the fifth annual conference sessions of the Indiana-Michigan Amish Mennonite Conference, which met in the Howard-Miami meetinghouse that year. In 1900 the little congregation even served as host to the district conference sessions; they used the Egly Defenseless Mennonite meetinghouse that was a half-mile west of the Yoder meetinghouse. In 1905 there were 12 members in the Yoder congregation. Two years later Yoder moved to Leo, IN, where his brother Eli was bishop of the Leo Amish Mennonite congregation. By 1909 only two aged women remained as members. About that time regular services were discontinued.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1007. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, John C. "Yoder Amish Mennonite Church (Berne, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Y657.html.
APA style: Wenger, John C. (1959). Yoder Amish Mennonite Church (Berne, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Y657.html.