York Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA)
York Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located on North Hartman Street, is a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. In the 18th century a Mennonite church and cemetery was located on Market Street near Pine Street in York. This meetinghouse, built in or before 1803, was sold in 1917. When it ceased to be used is not known. In 1903 the Fourth United Brethren Church on North Hartman Street was purchased as an outpost for the Stony Brook (then Witmer) congregation. On 28 July 1935, H. Frank Leaman was ordained as pastor-superintendent. On 11 May 1954, he and some of the membership withdrew, and Roy M. Geigley became pastor-superintendent. Lloyd R. Horst was ordained pastor 26 December 1956. The membership in 1957 was 26.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1008. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "York Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Y6738.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1959). York Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Y6738.html.