Zion Mennonite Church (Kingman, Kansas, USA)
Zion Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located at Kingman, Kansas, was formed when a division occurred in the Bethany Mennonite Church. In October 1932 the new congregation was accepted into the Western District Conference. Its first leader was Joseph J. Kaufman. The first minister was J. R, Duerksen, followed by J. R. Barkman, Jacob Unruh, J. H. Epp, William Unrau, Ramon H. Jantz. The membership of the group remained near 60 for 25 years; in 1957 it was 56, with B. E. Bonebrake as pastor. The congregation merged with the Bethany Mennonite Church in 1973 to form the Kingman Mennonite Church. The first service as the new congregation took place 6 May 1973.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1031. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schmidt, John F. "Zion Mennonite Church (Kingman, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Z57742.html.
APA style: Schmidt, John F. (1959). Zion Mennonite Church (Kingman, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Z57742.html.