Zion Mennonite Church (Souderton, Pennsylvania, USA)
Zion Mennonite Church (formerly General Conference Mennonite, now Mennonite Church USA), first located at 203 E. Broad St., Souderton, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, had its origin in 1887 as a small mission of Mennonite and unaffiliated families led by N. B. Grubb, pastor of the First Mennonite Church of Philadelphia. In 1892, with financial aid from the Eastern District Conference, a church was built 36 x 46 ft. In 1893 the congregation was organized with 19 charter members. The life and growth of the congregation is evident in the record of building renovations and expansion—1908, 1915, 1925, and 1940. In 1954 a 15-acre tract was purchased as a future expansion site, the purpose being to have an integrated church program ministering to the total needs of man - physical, mental, and spiritual. In 1958 the membership, mostly urban, was 655.
Address: 149 Cherry Lane, Souderton, PA 18964
Website: Zion Mennonite Church
Zion Mennonite Church Ministers
|Allen M. Fretz||1893-1910|
|J. W. Schantz||1910-1916|
|Reed F. Landis||1916-1923|
|Grover T. Soldner||1923-1931|
|Ernest J. Bohn||1931-1944|
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1033. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Graber, Ellis. "Zion Mennonite Church (Souderton, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Z57752.html.
APA style: Graber, Ellis. (1959). Zion Mennonite Church (Souderton, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Z57752.html.