Zionsbote, German organ of the Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Church of North America, was first published in the autumn of 1884, as a four-page quarterly at a subscription price of 25 cents per year. It soon (1886) became a semimonthly (enlarged to 8 pages in 1889) in 1904 a weekly of 16 pages, and in 1958 biweekly. It was printed the first two years by the Mennonite Publishing Company at Elkhart, Indiana, and thereafter successively at McPherson, Kansas; Hillsboro, Kansas; Medford, Oklahoma; McPherson again; and after 1913 at Hillsboro. The purpose of the publication of the Zionsbote was to acquaint the churches with the work in the field of evangelism and church polity in order to stimulate the church life. Later it published reports from mission fields, both foreign and home, and also reports from the individual churches. From its beginning subscribers have not been confined to members of the Mennonite Brethren Church. Until 1914 the Zionsbote was widely read in the churches of Russia; nearly 1,000 copies were sent there weekly. In the 1950s the M.B. Publishing House was the publisher. John F. Harms served as editor 1884-1906 and as assistant editor 1922-34. Other editors have been Abraham L. Schellenberg, J. D. Fast, and P. H. Berg. The editor in 1955 was Orlando Harms, and the subscription stood at 1600-1800.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 1033-1034. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Berg, P. H. "Zionsbote (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Z590.html.
APA style: Berg, P. H. (1959). Zionsbote (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Z590.html.