Alberta Community Church (Portland, Oregon, USA)
Alberta Community Church (General Conference Mennonite [GCM]), Portland, Oregon, began in 1928 at NE 26th and Alberta streets. The following summer the Alberta Community church building was rented. The work was sponsored by the Pacific District Conference and the Home Mission Board (GCM). On 29 June 1931 the congregation was organized with 11 charter members. In 1938 the Home Mission Board purchased the building in which the congregation had been meeting and remodeled it. The following have served the church: Catharine Niswander, Albert Claassen, Edmond Miller, Arnold Regier, Henry Wiebe, Clyde Dirks, and Harry Albrecht, the minister in 1958, in which year the membership was 74.
Burkholder, H. D. The Story of Our Conference and Churches. 1951.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1057. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "Alberta Community Church (Portland, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/alberta_community_church_portland_oregon_usa.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Alberta Community Church (Portland, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/alberta_community_church_portland_oregon_usa.