Alt Rosengart (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)
|Alt Rosengart (now Rożany, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
Alt Rosengart (also known as Rosengarthal, Alt Rosengarth, Alt Rosengard, and Altrosengart; now known as Rożany; coordinates: 54.067, 19.321 [54° 4′ 1″ N, 19° 19′ 15″ E]; population in 1905, 212; in 2013, 130) is located approximately 12 kilometers (7 miles) south-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 18 km. (11 miles) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 21 km. (13 miles) south-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof).
Alt Rosengart was probably established between 1296 and 1298. In 1355, privileges were renewed by Konrad von Bruningsheim under the Chełmno law (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government). At the time, the village had 59 włókas (1,059 hectares) of land. Dutch colonists arrived in 1599. In 1631, the village was leased to Kaspar Platen, in 1647 to Izaak Spieringow, and in 1663 to Aleksander Jungschultzow.
Until 1772 the village was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which the village was located. The village was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of the German province of East Prussia. At the outbreak of World War II in 1939, it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. In 2012 it was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Gronowo Elbląskie, within Elbląg County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship.
The Prussian census of 1776 lists 12 Mennonite families in Alt Rosengart with the following surnames: Albrecht, Dircksen, Friesen, Guhr, Heinrich, Holtzrichter, Jantzen, Pauls (four families), and Riedger. In 1789, Alt Rosengart had 51 Mennonites and in 1820, 136 residents, including 58 Mennonites. By 1936 there were 22 Mennonites in Alt Rosengart.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Rożany." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 11 February 2013. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=429&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Różany, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship." Web. 11 February 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Różany,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 11 February 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=109.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Alt Rosengart (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/alt_rosengart_warmian_masurian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2013). Alt Rosengart (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/alt_rosengart_warmian_masurian_voivodeship_poland.