Capital Christian Fellowship (Lanham, Maryland, USA)
Capital Christian Fellowship (formerly Cottage City Mennonite Church) (Mennonite Church USA) was founded by young Mennonite carpenters, mostly from Denbigh, Virginia, working in Washington, D.C., in the fall of 1922. They started a church under the Virginia Conference; but since October 1927, the church has been under the Lancaster Conference. Ray J. Shenk was the minister and mission superintendent (1954). The membership in 1954 was 38.
After operating as a traditional Mennonite Church for over 70 years, Cottage City Mennonite Church moved 10 miles north of Washington, D.C. and began renting the Capital College auditorium in 1994. From 1994 -2004 Capital Christian Fellowship (the name it took after the move) grew from 30 members to 160 in 2004. Cottage City Fellowship moved into its new facility on a main thoroughfare six miles outside of Washington, D.C. in 2004. Its average attendance in 2006 was 325. In 2007 the membership was 250; the lead pastor was Noah J. Kaye.
Address: 10411 Greenbelt Road, Lanham, MD 20706
Website: Capital Christian Fellowship
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 721. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. and Sam Steiner. "Capital Christian Fellowship (Lanham, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2008. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/capital_christian_fellowship_lanham_maryland_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. and Sam Steiner. (July 2008). Capital Christian Fellowship (Lanham, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/capital_christian_fellowship_lanham_maryland_usa.