Civilian Public Service Camp (Clear Spring, Maryland, USA)
The Clear Spring Camp, Unit 4 of Civilian Public Service Camp No. 24, often known as the Hagerstown Camp, was located about five miles (eight km) north of Clear Spring on a farm owned by the Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, Pennsylvania. Although there were five units in the camp, each was operated independently of the others. Unit 4 was under the direction of the Mennonite Church (MC) and the Soil Conservation Service. It was opened in the spring of 1942. Two schools were held here for the campers, a farm and community school early in 1944 and a Christian workers' school beginning in November 1944.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 620. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Clear Spring, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camp_clearspring_maryland.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Civilian Public Service Camp (Clear Spring, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camp_clearspring_maryland.