Civilian Public Service Camps (Lincoln, Nebraska, USA)
Lincoln, Nebraska, was the location of two Mennonite-operated Civilian Public Service (CPS) camps during World War II. The first was the Lincoln Experiment Station Camp No. 106, under the state College of Agriculture. The camp was approved in May 1943, and closed in October 1946. The men worked in the dairy division, agronomy department, horticulture, animal husbandry, and poultry departments. A farm and community school, with evening classes and lectures, was operated by the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) for the men in the unit during a two-year period beginning in October 1944.
In September 1944 CPS Camp No. 138 was established at Lincoln, with two units, one of which was located on an Mennonite Central Committee-owned farm 1.5 miles (2.5 km) east of College View, a suburb southeast of Lincoln. Unit 2 was located 10 miles (16 km) northwest of Lincoln, on a farm owned by the Peace Problems Committee of the Mennonite Church (MC). Both of these units did work for the U.S. Soil Conservation Service. Both conducted farm and community schools similar to that in camp No. 106, although each of the three schools had its own educational director. In November 1944, the MCC sponsored a two-day conference at Lincoln of all their farm and community school leaders. Camp No. 138 was closed in October 1946. Since Lincoln was a center of a number of Mennonite communities and the state university is located here, numerous Mennonites reside in the city. However, no fellowship or congregation had been organized by 1955.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 181-186.
Lehman, J. E., ed. Mennonite Farmunity; 1st Anniversary. Malcolm, Neb., 1946.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 348. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camps (Lincoln, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camps_lincoln_nebraska_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Civilian Public Service Camps (Lincoln, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camps_lincoln_nebraska_usa.