Clarence Center (New York, USA)
Clarence Center, a village 30 miles (50 km) east of Buffalo, New York, was the location of two Mennonite churches now extinct. The Good's Stone Church and cemetery was the first and belonged to the Mennonite Conference of Ontario. The Cox cemetery, a mile nearer Clarence Center, marks the location for the place of worship of a General Conference Mennonite group organized under Jacob Krehbiel, Jr. (1835-1917). He was a son of Deacon Frederick Krehbiel (1806-1863) and grandson of Bishop Jacob Krehbiel (1780-1860), who came to Erie County, New York, from Germany. Jacob, Jr., was ordained to the ministry under the Mennonite Conference of Ontario in 1872. He married Leah Strickler in 1866, daughter of Preacher John Strickler. Several families bearing the names of Eberhart, Lehman, Lapp, Ritz, Rhoades, Frick, Leib, Martin, Hummel, Sherer, and Roth affiliated with the General Conference Mennonites about 1880. Sometime after organization their worship services were held every two weeks in Clarence Center in a church rented from the United Brethren. After Jacob Krehbiel became inactive, these services were discontinued and the organization ceased. Descendants of these families have become members of local non-Mennonite churches.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 618. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Fretz, Joseph C. "Clarence Center (New York, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/clarence_center_new_york_usa.
APA style: Fretz, Joseph C. (1953). Clarence Center (New York, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/clarence_center_new_york_usa.