Colonia del Sacramento (Colonia, Uruguay)
|Uruguay, 2006. World factbook map|
Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay (2004 pop. 21,000), capital of the departamento bearing the same name, is approximately 110 miles (180 km) west of Montevideo, on the bank of the Rio de la Plata, and almost within sight of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Three hundred fifty of the first Mennonite immigrants were quartered in an army barracks belonging to the Uruguay Ministry of Defense. The quarters were located in Colonia proper and the immigrants gradually found employment in the farm area surrounding the city. Colonia was cleared of Mennonites as the El Ombu project began taking form, until by August 1950 there were but 10 families remaining in the Colonia barracks.
Six families, numbering 30 people, made Colonia their permanent home. They were employed in factories and cared for gardens part time.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 644. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Snyder, William T. "Colonia del Sacramento (Colonia, Uruguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/colonia_del_sacramento_colonia_uruguay.
APA style: Snyder, William T. (1953). Colonia del Sacramento (Colonia, Uruguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/colonia_del_sacramento_colonia_uruguay.