Blok, Den (Haarlem, Noord-Holland, Netherlands)
Den Blok, (Vlaemschen), is the name of a well-known former meetinghouse of the Mennonites at Haarlem, Holland, in which the Flemish (later united Flemish, Frisian, and High German) congregation held its meetings for more than two centuries. In 1671, when a quarrel arose in this congregation, the meetinghouse was divided into two parts by erecting a stone wall in the middle of the building, in order that each group could use one part of the meetinghouse. The year 1670 mentioned in the Doopsgezinde Bijdragen article is wrong; it must be 1671.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1863): 143-144.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 363. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Blok, Den (Haarlem, Noord-Holland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B5635.html.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1953). Blok, Den (Haarlem, Noord-Holland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B5635.html.