County Line Old Order Mennonite Church (Wakarusa, Indiana, USA)
The County Line Old Order Mennonite Church, now extinct, was located approximately four miles (6.5 km) northwest of Wakarusa, Indiana. It had its origin in the Wisler schism of 1871 (see Jacob Wisler). About 1877 a church was built on the county line of Elkhart and St. Joseph counties for those members of the group living in the area. Services were held there every third Sunday, alternating with Blosser's Church and Yellow Creek Frame. By 1900 the membership of the three may have reached 200. Bishops that have served at County Line included Jacob Wisler, Christian Shaum, John Martin, and Joseph Martin. Schisms in the congregation in 1907 on issues such as the use of telephones and in 1947 on the use of chewing tobacco and rubber- tired tractors plus the moving away of members decreased the membership of the congregation so that its building was closed in 1950 and sold the following year.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 725. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "County Line Old Order Mennonite Church (Wakarusa, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/county_line_old_order_mennonite_church_wakarusa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). County Line Old Order Mennonite Church (Wakarusa, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/county_line_old_order_mennonite_church_wakarusa.