Cove Mennonite Mission Church (Mathias, West Virginia, USA)
Cove Mennonite (rural) Mission Church (Mennonite Church), east of Mathias, West Virginia, under the Virginia Mennonite Conference, probably started in 1876 or earlier as an outgrowth of the work at Powder Spring, five miles (eight km) east in Shenandoah County, Virginia. Early work in connection with this station was carried on at the Basore and Hinegardner schoolhouses located two and six miles respectively north of the Whitmer schoolhouse, where services were held once a month. The 1948 membership was eight.
The Whitmer School was built about 1904, and closed as a school in 1940. It continued to serve the church after that date. In 2004 the building was sawn into thirds and moved to the Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center near Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center. "The Whitmer Schoolhouse/Cove Church Move." http://www.vbmhc.org/news/2004/04covesch/covesch.shtml (Accessed 29 July 2008)
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 726. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Showalter, Timothy. "Cove Mennonite Mission Church (Mathias, West Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/cove_mennonite_mission_church_mathias_west.
APA style: Showalter, Timothy. (1953). Cove Mennonite Mission Church (Mathias, West Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/cove_mennonite_mission_church_mathias_west.