Crawford County (Pennsylvania, USA)
|Crawford County, Pennsylvania
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Crawford County, in northwestern Pennsylvania, received its first Mennonites when a family settled near Spartansburg in 1917. Others came in 1931 and later. Britton Run Church (Mennonite Church (MC) was started in 1932, by Mennonite families from Nebraska and Ohio. The Meadville mission (MC) began in 1935. Sunnyside Church (MC), near Conneaut Lake, was built in 1938 to accommodate settlers from Iowa and other states, while Meadville continued as a mission point. The combined Mennonite membership of approximately 224 (1954) included a few residing in Erie County. A few residents attended Beaver Dam Church, Erie County, which was started in 1940. In 1949 a colony of Old Order Amish resided near Atlantic and a few Conservative Amish attended church in nearby Mercer County.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 733. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Steiner, James A. "Crawford County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/crawford_county_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Steiner, James A. (1953). Crawford County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/crawford_county_pennsylvania_usa.