Cumberland County (Pennsylvania, USA)
|Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, located southwest of Harrisburg, was carved out of Lancaster County on 27 January 1750. In 1755 the Proprietary Government suggested that the Irish settle here, leaving Lancaster for the Mennonites. Consequently the Mennonites did not move in before the late 1780s and 1790s, and their first house of worship was Slate Hill, built in 1820. In 1950 there were three Mennonite churches in the county: Slate Hill, Churchtown, and Diller. William M. Strong was the bishop of these churches.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 746. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Cumberland County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/cumberland_county_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1953). Cumberland County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/cumberland_county_pennsylvania_usa.