Defiance County (Ohio, USA)
|Defiance County, Ohio
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
The Defiance County Old Order Amish Settlement, located near Hicksville and Mark Center, originated in March 1914, when 12 families of Sugarcreek, Ohio, moved there; their names were Schrock, Barkman, Mullet, Yoder, Miller, Coblentz and Kurtz. The 1954 membership was 67. A congregation was organized in April 1914, and Bishop Moses A. Coblentz served as the only preacher for one year. Succeeding bishops were John Bontrager, David S. Bontreger, and Amos Yoder (in 1954).
A Conservative Amish Mennonite congregation was organized by members leaving the Old Order Amish in 1922, led by Bishop John Bontrager and Deacon John F. Helmuth. Their number was increased by families from Allen County, Indiana. After four years the congregation was dissolved, and the members moved to other states.
In 1944 a Beachy Amish church was organized by members of the Old Order Amish congregation with the aid of Bishop David Burkholder of Nappanee, Indiana. It was dissolved two years later, many of its members having moved to other states.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 26. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hostetler, John A. "Defiance County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/defiance_county_ohio_usa.
APA style: Hostetler, John A. (1956). Defiance County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/defiance_county_ohio_usa.