Denbigh (Warwick County, Virginia, USA)
Denbigh was an unincorporated village in the city of Warwick, Virginia (formerly called Warwick County), in the southeastern part of the state. After a municipal consolidation in 1958, it became a neighborhood of the city of Newport News. There were some 300 Mennonites living near Denbigh in the 1950s, all belonging to the Mennonite Church (MC). Most of these lived in a settlement two miles (three km) southeast of Denbigh. Mennonites began to settle there around 1898. In the 1950s there were two Mennonite churches in the vicinity, a Christian day school, and a mission in the nearby city of Newport News, which was staffed with workers from the Warwick River Mennonite Church, it being the larger church with a membership of 300.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 32. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Brunk, George R., II. "Denbigh (Warwick County, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/denbigh_warwick_county_virginia_usa.
APA style: Brunk, George R., II. (1956). Denbigh (Warwick County, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/denbigh_warwick_county_virginia_usa.