Diamond Street Mennonite Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)
Diamond Street Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, began as a mission work among African-Americans on 1 July 1935, at 191 West Dauphin Street. It was known at first as the Mennonite Mission for the Colored. Sponsored by the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (MC), the work was transferred to Diamond Street in 1942. In 1954 Luke G. Stoltzfus was pastor and Emma Rudy and Alma Ruth were the mission workers. A large number of African-American children were being reached through Bible teaching activities held in homes, open lots, and in the mission. The total baptized membership, including workers, was 19 in 1954. The pastor in 2007 was Otis M. Banks and the membership at that time was 65.
Fretz, Clarence Y. "Mennonitism in Philadelphia." Christian Monitor (August 1945).
Landis, Ira David. The Missionary Movement Among Lancaster Conference Mennonites. Scottdale, Pennsylvania: Mennonite Publishing House, 1938: 46, 47.
1632 W Diamond Street
Philadelphia PA 19121-2313
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 51. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Fretz, Clarence Y. "Diamond Street Mennonite Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/diamond_street_mennonite_church_philadelphia.
APA style: Fretz, Clarence Y. (1956). Diamond Street Mennonite Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/diamond_street_mennonite_church_philadelphia.