Didsbury (Alberta, Canada)
Didsbury, Alberta, a town of some 14,000 (2007 pop.), is located in Mountain View municipality, 48 miles (80 km) north of Calgary. It was founded in 1894 by Jacob Y. Shantz and members of the Ontario Conference of the United Missionary Church. The Didsbury church, built in 1896, was the beginning of the Canadian Northwest Conference of the United Missionary Church, which was organized in 1907. The conference met annually at Didsbury, as did the annual camp meeting. Mountain View Bible College was founded here in 1926. The local United Missionary Church was the largest denomination in the town in the 1950s. The West Zion (MC) Mennonite Church at Carstairs and the Bergthal Mennonite Church (GCM) with a Didsbury address are nearby.
Weber, M. "The Part Played by Immigrants from Waterloo County to the Didsbury, Alberta, Settlement in 1894." Thirty-Eighth Annual Report of the Waterloo Historical Society. (Kitchener, 1950).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 52. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Storms, Everek R.. "Didsbury (Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/didsbury_alberta_canada.
APA style: Storms, Everek R.. (1956). Didsbury (Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/didsbury_alberta_canada.