Dorrance Mennonite Brethren Church (Dorrance, Kansas, USA)
The Dorrance Mennonite Brethren Church, located in Russel County and a member of the Southern District Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, was organized on 24 October 1913 with 30 members, under the leadership of the elders John Foth and Martin M. Just. The first meetinghouse was built in 1913 and dedicated 26 October 1913. By 1924 the membership had grown to 63. In later years, however, some families moved away, and the membership was never that high again. The first minister was Peter Wiens. Others have been J. B. Reh, David B. Langhofer, D. W. Steinle, Andrew Feil, Elmo Warkentin, E. C. Ollenburger, F. P. Nickel, G. Warkentin, and J. F. Steinle. By 1962 the membership had declined to 17, and the church closed soon thereafter.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 94. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hiebert, P. C. and Kevin Enns-Rempel. "Dorrance Mennonite Brethren Church (Dorrance, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/dorrance_mennonite_brethren_church_dorrance_kansas.
APA style: Hiebert, P. C. and Kevin Enns-Rempel. (2008). Dorrance Mennonite Brethren Church (Dorrance, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/dorrance_mennonite_brethren_church_dorrance_kansas.