Douglas-Moultrie Counties, Illinois, Amish Mennonite Settlement
The Douglas-Moultrie counties, Illinois, Amish Mennonite settlement is located in the east-central part of the state. The first Amish residents, coming from Pennsylvania, settled in the community in 1865. Additional settlers, coming from Iowa, Ohio, and perhaps other states, increased the size of the church so that it was divided into two districts in 1888. By 1952 the Old Order Amish of the community were divided into eight church districts, which had membership of 702. In additional a Conservative Amish Mennonite congregation, organized in 1945, had 45 members in 1952. The Mennonite Church in Arthur, begun in 1936 by dissatisfied members of the Old Order church, had 230 members in 1952.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 95. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Douglas-Moultrie Counties, Illinois, Amish Mennonite Settlement." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/douglas_moultrie_counties_illinois_amish_mennonite.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Douglas-Moultrie Counties, Illinois, Amish Mennonite Settlement. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/douglas_moultrie_counties_illinois_amish_mennonite.