Elm River Hutterite Colony (Newton, Manitoba, Canada)
Elm River Hutterite Bruderhof (Schmiedeleut), one mile west of Newton, Manitoba, was founded in 1934 by Preacher Zacharias Hofer and ten families from the Rosedale Bruderhof near Elie, Manitoba. They bought land and built houses and barns. Zacharias Hofer, who was born in Russia, died in 1936. In 1935 David Hofer was chosen minister. In 1947 the Bruderhof numbered 153 souls.
In 2012 the Elm River Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 1 colony. The minister was Ruben Hofer and the manager was Harold Hofer.
Location: Newton Siding, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.942222, -98.102778 [49° 56' 32" N, 98° 06' 10" W])
Address: Box 1060, Newton Siding, MB R0H 0X0
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 190. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Elm River Hutterite Colony (Newton, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/elm_river_hutterite_bruderhof_newton_manitoba.
APA style: Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (March 2013). Elm River Hutterite Colony (Newton, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/elm_river_hutterite_bruderhof_newton_manitoba.