Emmanuel Mennonite Church (Doland, South Dakota, USA)
Emmanuel Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located 13 miles south and one mile west of Doland, Spink County, South Dakota, originally a member of the Northern District Conference, General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM), was organized in 1921 with 36 members under the leadership of J. W. Kleinsasser, the first pastor. The 1953 membership was 89, and all were rural people. The original frame meetinghouse, erected in 1922 and seating 180, was still in use in 1954. Ministers who have served the congregation are J. W. Kleinsasser, Jacob A. Friesen, missionary Elmer Dick, who served two months as interim pastor, Frank Loewen, Lyman W. Sprunger, and Paul Quenzer.
The congregation is presently a member of the Central Plains Mennonite Conference, part of Mennonite Church USA. In 2008 the membership was 117; the pastor was Gordon Wayne Wiebe.
Address: 18507 405th Avenue, Doland, South Dakota
Website: Emmanuel Mennonite Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 204. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Sprunger, Lyman W. "Emmanuel Mennonite Church (Doland, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/emmanuel_mennonite_church_doland_south_dakota_usa.
APA style: Sprunger, Lyman W. (1956). Emmanuel Mennonite Church (Doland, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/emmanuel_mennonite_church_doland_south_dakota_usa.