Erb Mennonite Church (Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Erb Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. John Erb, David Martin, Benjamin Ebersole, and others had moved into the Cumberland Valley, 10 miles west of Slate Hill and three miles east of Carlisle. In 1834 John Erb was ordained to the ministry, and the following year he donated ground for the erection of a meetinghouse. This was transferred in 1843 to Abraham Hertzler and Jacob Nissley as trustees, and therefore it is also called "Hertzler." This building and Herr’s, six miles south, provided worship facilities for years in these communities. The cemetery remains, but the building has been razed. The bishop oversight was supplied from Lancaster Mennonite Conference, of which this congregation was always a member.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 241. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Erb Mennonite Church (Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/erb_mennonite_church_cumberland_county.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1956). Erb Mennonite Church (Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/erb_mennonite_church_cumberland_county.