Fichthorst (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)
|Fichthorst (now Jegłownik, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
Fichthorst (also known as Elbinger Territorium; now known as Jegłownik; coordinates: 54.1225, 19.2948 [54° 7′ 20″ N, 19° 17′ 41″ E]; is located approximately 7.5 kilometers (5 miles) south-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 15 km. (9 miles) south-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), and 19 km. (11 miles) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg).
The settlement now known as Jegłownik was established in 1595 in a former forest. Initially, it consisted of dispersed settlements. In time, these settlements formed a single village - an Olęder (Dutch) settlement. In 1641, the residents erected a church and established a cemetery. Fichthorst, along with Fridrichsberg, formed the western section of the settlement, located on the southern side of the road to Malbork (Marienburg). The village was expanded after the neighboring forests had been cleared in 1799/1800 and 124 plots were allocated for tenant farms. A windmill was built on a hill at the southern end of the village.
Until 1772 the village was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which the village was located. The village was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of the German province of East Prussia. At the outbreak of World War II in 1939, it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. In 1946 Jegłownik was formed from four original settlements: Neukirchenniederung (known as Neukirch until the end of the 19th century), Fichthorst, Friedrichsberg, and Neuhof. In 2013 Jegłownik was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Gronowo Elbląskie, within Elbląg County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship.
In 1820, the village of Fichthorst had 402 residents, including 5 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Fichthorst were members of the Elbing-Ellerwald Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Jegłownik." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 9 February 2013. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=337&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Jegłownik." Web. 9 February 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jegłownik.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 9 February 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=1407.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Fichthorst (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/fichthorst_warmian_masurian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2013). Fichthorst (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/fichthorst_warmian_masurian_voivodeship_poland.